Travel pianos were very popular in the late 18th century and until the mid-19th century. Many composers and musicians had small and transportable instruments to use them on their travels. These instruments were built very light and could be taken easily because of their dimension...more
During the development of instrument building many unusual instruments were made. Here are some selected extraordinary keyboard instruments.
This small and rare square piano was manufactured around 1782 by the long-established and highly reputed company Longman and Broderip in London. Compared to other instruments of the time, it has smaller dimensions and a smaller keyboard range of only 4½ octaves. It is yet the on...more
This charming little piano is an early example for the rare upright pianos in England at the beginning of the 19th century. Upright instruments in this small form were far less common than the popular square pianos. The instrument was made between 1823 and 1834 by “Goulding...more
In addition to square and grand pianos, the long-established company John Broadwood & Sons in London also produced the new upright pianos that were fashionable at the beginning of the 19th century. These small Cottage Pianos were more space-saving than their larger relatives...more
This elegant instrument is one of the representatives of the so-called "Cabinet Pianos" a form of upright piano which were very popular in the early 19th century. Due to smaller rooms various forms of smaller pianos where needed but with no losses in the sound. Because of their e...more
This elegant cottage piano by William Rolfe & Sons was manufactured in London in 1835 and shows the space-saving version of the square or grand piano at that time. The case is made of solid mahogany with very fine inlays and the front is decorated with red silk. The keyboa...more
The Dulcitone is a Scottish keyboard instrument that belongs to the group of idiophones. Using a keyboard and felted hammers, tuning forks are set in vibration and produce the sound. The instrument was invented by Thomas Machell in Glasgow in 1864. The Irishman Charles Glagetti p...more