Wilhelm Neumann c. 1820
This grand fortepiano was made by Wilhelm Neumann in Vienna and was built around 1820. It is the only surviving known instrument made by Neumann.
The elegant walnut triple bent side case stands on 3 Empire style legs with a small ornamental lyre and 5 pedals.
The nameboard is decorated with a porcelain label enclosed in brass frame and bears the handwritten signature:
“Wilhelm Neumann in Wien”
The instrument has a 6 octaves (FF – f4) compass with a divided bridge and a Viennese action. The keyboard is made from ox bone and ebony and the hammers are covered with leather.
Pianos of this type were mainly built in the 1820s. Typical features are the many different pedals for changing the sound. At that time there were some instruments with even more pedals.
In addition to the modern time triple bent side shape like this piano, there were also instruments in grader construction. An extremely elegant model is the concert grand piano by Nannette Streicher from 1821 in the collection.
About Wilhelm Neumann is so far only known that he was active between 1820 and 1827 in Vienna. His address was Neulerchenfeld No. 141 in 1820 and later from 1827 Zum schwarzen Bären No. 66. (see: Lieve Verbeeck)
Till today there are no other known surviving instruments by him.
|Circumference:||6 octaves (FF - f4)|
|Pedals:||5 pedals (dampers, una corda, moderator, double moderator, bassoon)|
|Signature:||„Wilhelm Neumann in Wien“|